Tuesday, April 9, 2013

In My Ears... Entrepreneur on Fire


Let me introduce you to another podcast I listen to on a regular basis. Entrepreneur on Fire is a popular new podcast created and hosted by John Lee Dumas. The format of the show is every day Dumas interviews an entrepreneur, said entrepreneur gives an intro and answers a set of questions. The questions range from “Can you tell us about a time when you failed?” to “what are you excited about for your business?” Due to the daily interviews of entrepreneurs from various diverse businesses, it is amazing to hear and compare the different answers to the same questions. This is the reason I love this podcast – I can listen to it every day or download episodes to listen them back-to-back. Another reason I love this podcast is it gives me confirmation on a few things about entrepreneurs:

We all fail in life. When I’ve experienced failure, it made me feel I was the only person going through my struggle. I felt embarrassed and unable to trust myself to choose the best for me. Eventually, I learned to move on by moving on. My philosophy is life will not stop for your failure. The best way to get through a setback is to come back and go hard. Surprisingly, I never could relate this experience to many other people. However, hearing day after day each and every interviewed entrepreneur talk about their failures and the ways they over came it, confirmed that everyone has a setback but we all have the ability to recover.

Many entrepreneurs were scared to be entrepreneurs.  One of the questions asked is “what was stopping you from being an entrepreneur?” Most answers have been fear – fear of failure or fear of complete dependence on themselves to make an income. However, most learned that failure is a learning process and doesn’t stop you from trying again. The only way to know if they could succeed was to try and they did.

There is no complete format on becoming an entrepreneur. Other than the obvious (have a plan, believe in yourself and the business, think practically about the product and if it is wanted, etc.), there is no complete list on who you have to be to be an entrepreneur. You don’t need a degree, years in a corporate environment, be funded or choose bootstrapping, or force yourself to do anything superficial to make yourself seem like the “entrepreneur-type.” All you have to do is be yourself with your business.

There many other things we can learn from this podcast. The podcast introduces many fun, well-spoken, open entrepreneurs. Visit the iTunes store or entrepreneuronfire.com for the episodes and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment